Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pulled Pork

I'm  really not into the wet and goopy BBQ sauces. I am more of a marinate it, and dry rub kind of a gal.
We're a mixed family in that regard, my guys love the sauce! I try to make this so the pork has the taste of the BBQ sauce without being loaded on. If they want more sauce, it's always on the table and they can spoon it all over their own dishes.
Awhile ago I stumbled on a marinade Mojo Criollo made by Goya, I bought it in a pinch and since the initial use of this mojo sauce I have fallen in love. I've used it on chicken, pork chops, and a pork butt to make the pulled pork that I am about to share with you.

Pulled Pork
For this you will need
a pork butt  6 - 8 pounds
soy sauce
sesame seeds
scallions/ green onions
Mojo Criollo
Luzianne Cajun Seasoning

Marinated the boneless pork butt with one 24 oz bottle of Mojo Criollo and let it sit for at least 24 hours. After letting the pork marinade I like to use some kind of a rub.  While in California I found Luzianne Cajun Seasoning . It's great. I really love the flavors. Generously rub the seasoning all over the pork. I then made a mixture of soy sauce, chopped scallions and sesame seeds and poured that all over the pork.
Now it's time to cook it. You'll need some time, this cooks at a low temperature for a long time. I just start the oven off with a high heat and then turn it down!
Put the pork in a 450 degree oven  for 15 minutes and then turn down the heat to 300 degrees and let the pork cook slowly for 5 - 8 hours.  And that's all it takes.
When it comes out of the oven it should have this fabulous crust on the outside and the meat will be juicy and tender on the inside. Let the meat cool down, this is usually where I burn the tips of my fingers being impatient not waiting for a cooling period because I can't wait to rip it apart and start pulling on the pork to taste it!
I think was was an 8 pound piece of pork.   The picture below is what it looks like "pulled"
We like to make these into a burrito, pancake kind of a meal. Almost like a Peking Duck but with pork!
This is served on a flour tortilla with some sliced green onions, cucumbers, lettuce and avocado.
Lay the flour tortilla in your dish and start layering what you want in your "pancake"
Start with some meat and some gravy, then add the vegetables that you desire.
Then roll it up.
I served this with a piece of Pork Belly and some extra avocado and veggies on the dish with just a touch of some very hot chili sauce. Delicious! Definitely worth the prep and baking time.
I hope you enjoy!

Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment