Monday, May 30, 2011

Watermelon Mojito's

If you belong to Costco and receive the magazine that they send to your house, The Costco Connection, take it out of the garbage and read it.  They have some really nice recipes that you should definitely pay attention too. There are a few that caught my eye, but the one that really got me going was the one by Ina Garten, also known as The Barefoot Contessa.
While shopping for the weekend the watermelons were plentiful, and at each store that I went too one looked better than the other! I ended up with 3 whole watermelons, which in my opinion was just a little too much watermelon for the 12 people who were dining with us today!  And then, I remembered the recipe I had seen for the Watermelon Mojo's.  So I retrieved the magazine from the recycling bin, took out the food processor and started pureeing watermelon.
My sister and I had a tough time finding the mint, everyone was out of it, so we ended up buying mint plants, picked the leaves that we needed for the beverages we were about to make, and put the mint in the garden. In a week or two, I won't have to worry about finding the mint anymore, I'll harvest it from my garden!

Here's Ina's recipe. It was a hit!

30 large fresh mint leaves, coursely torn by hand
3 or 4 thick slices of seedless watermelon
12 ozs light rum
1/2 cup simple syrup
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, about 3 limes
mint sprigs and watermelon spears for garnish

Use a mortal and pestile to mash the mint leaves. Remove and discard the rind and the seeds of the watermelon. Put the watermelon into a food processor and puree. (This made a huge mess, so I switched to a blender)
Put the mashed mint into a large pitcher with 2 cups of pureed watermelon, the rum, simple syrup and lime juice. and stir to combine.
Place ice cubes in 6 glasses and pour the mojito mixture into the glasses. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs and watermelon spears . Serve ice cold. Makes 6 drinks.

Simple Syrup
To make simple syrup, put 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small pan and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Chill.

Now, here's what I did!
I cut the watermelon up and put it in the food processor. Yes, the whole watermelon! OMG! what a mess so I transfered it all to my blender and in batches pureed the watermelon.
I added the watermelon to a large glass pitcher, added the mint, which i tore up by hand and smashed up with a spoon and a whisk, I don't have a mortar and pestal!, added the  simple syrup and generously added some 151 rum (so much for using a light rum!)  I used a bottle and it was good!


I filled up some glasses with ice cubes, poured this libation over the ice and garnished the drink with some fresh mint, a watermelon spear and a strawberry.

Better make a double or triple batch of these. They were refreshing and a huge hit!

I hope you are all having a wonderful Memorial Day, and a fabulous weekend. God Bless!

Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment