Friday, November 18, 2011

Truffles, Truffles, Truffles

My husband absolutely adores Truffles. When it's the season he wants to eat Truffles on everything. He asks chefs to prepare meals around the delicious fungi!
The other day while dining at 87 Vines Restaurant in Yonkers, my husband had the opportunity to make a purchase. To his delight two salesman from Italy came in for our friend Gino, who is the proprietor of the restaurant, to take a look and sample some of the Truffles that they had for sale. It was my husbands lucky day!
After weighing the truffles and bargaining over the pricing my darling came home with a truffle that delighted us all.
While I know that this may not be the most appealing object to look at I have to tell you that the aroma and the taste emitted from the White Truffle is most magnificent! The only thing I had to do was decide what to make with this, that would compliment the flavor of the truffle and make my husband happy.
I decided to make a homemade tagliatelle pasta with a porcini and butter sauce with freshly grated parmesan cheese. It was a very simple sauce, and the fattiness from the butter was made to enhance the flavor from the truffle.
For the sauce I melted a stick of unsalted butter,  (1/4 pound), added 3 whole cloves of garlic. I slowly melted the butter letting the garlic cook in the butter without getting any color. Then I added 1/4 cup of porcini mushrooms, which had been soaked, and sliced, to the melted butter. Cook this on low heat.
While the pasta is cooking, remove the whole cloves of garlic and discard. Season the butter with salt, black pepper and a little grated fresh nutmeg.
Add the shaved truffles into the porcini and butter. Reserve some of the truffle to grate on top of the pasta. Before draining the pasta add one soup ladle of the pasta water into the porcini, truffle butter.
Drain the pasta.
Add pasta to a serving bowl and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and toss the pasta. As you are tossing the pasta to make sure it's getting coated with the cheese, start adding your butter sauce to the pasta. tossing so all the pasta gets a nice coat of the delicious buttery nutty sauce!
I didn't add more grated truffles to my portion. I thought it was perfect the way it was. I should have taken a picture of my husbands dish. He couldn't get enough!


P.S. If fresh truffles are not available you can always make this dish without. Just use extra Porcini mushrooms, and if fresh porcini is not available you can always find them dried in a good Italian market.

Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment