Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Asian Style String Green Beans

Let me start off by saying that I did not follow a recipe to make this side dish. I followed my sense of flavor and used what I had in the house to make these delicious string beans, or in the culinary world sometimes referred to as Haricot Verts.
I washed the string beans and then dried them off making sure there was no moisture on them. I got my big pan out and heated it up and added some vegetable oil to the pan and placed the string beans in the hot oil. There wasn't a huge amount of oil in the pan, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan and then some. I sprinkled the beans with course kosher salt and then "fried" the srtring beans. They will start to crinkle up a bit and get a little color on them.  I know, I know, I should be using a wok!
After they are "fried" I removed them from the pan and added ground turkey meat. I usually use ground pork in this dish. I then added 5 cloves of chopped garlic and a nice piece of ginger that I chopped. We love the flavor of the ginger. You can always adjust this, just keep tasting and add more if needed.
Cook the meat and the garlic and ginger until the meat is cooked through. As the meat is cooking I added a  1/2 Tablespoon of Chili Oil and 1/2  Tablespoon of Sesame Oil. Add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. I used equal parts, about 1/8 cup of each...sorry I didn't measure.
When it's all cooked through and the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar cook off a little add the string beans back to the pan with 1/2 cup of pickled vegetables. I used Italian Gardiniera. It added a little heat to the dish and a little pucker power...it did the trick!
Mix it all together, and then just before serving sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds!

When ever I make this there is never any left! It's a winner! I hope you and yours enjoy this dish as much as we do.

Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment