Monday, August 15, 2011

Gyros

I can't believe my baby daughter, Zoe is leaving for college in two days.  If you looked in her bedroom right now you wouldn't think she is going anywhere. Clothes are thrown all over the floor, her closets are busting with articles of clothing spilling out, and let's not even talk about what's under her bed. It makes me crazy! Oddly enough it really doesn't bother her at all. I know that when she leaves she'll be taking what she wants, leaving behind an enormous mess for someone else to clean up!
Zoe has always had an eclectic palate. She has always loved soup. Always wants to eat soup. She can eat soup every day for every meal, and she adores oatmeal! Normal food, right? But in the same breath while asking me to make chicken soup, or Beef with Barley Soup (her favorite), she could easily ask me to make octopus salad, calamari with linguini, cavetelli with broccoli or osso bucco!
I had asked family to come over on Sunday so they could see her off before she leaves.  I thought it would be nice to include her in the planning of the menu. I wasn't totally surprised when she asked for a Greek themed meal. I was actually thrilled! She wanted lamb gyros, with tzadziki sauce ( a sauce made from greek yogurt and cucumbers), spanakopite ( a spinach pie) , saganaki (cheese), and a salad.

I purchased a boneless leg of lamb and marinated it over night in a homemade buttermilk ranch dressing. I know some of you may be cringing at this thought, but I have to tell you that it really tenderizes the meat and adds some excellent flavor.  I also seasoned the leg of lamb with salt and pepper, and a chopped onion!
I cooked the lamb until it reached an internal temperature of 140 degrees (This will be medium rare)  and then let it rest for a little bit. I tented the lamb with foil to retain the heat. It continues to cook a little bit this way too. It was delicious, juicy and cooked to perfection!

The lamb was sliced thin, and then the assembly of a gyro went into action. The Pita was grilled on an open flame.  The tzadziki sauce was slathered on the grilled pita. Lamb was piled on with tomatoes, red onion, cucumber and feta cheese. YUM!  For those of you who don't like lamb, try making a gyro with chicken or pork. You'll be glad you did!

Thanks for stopping by!
Kali Orexi!
xoxoxo
Lorriane

No comments:

Post a Comment