Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Is it Orange Beef or Beef with Orange?

Happy Peanut Butter Day! Want to try some orange beef with that? lol
It's been a little hectic here. My husband had knee replacement surgery last week so I've been kept busy. I haven't had much time to really cook. If you know me, you'll know that I am probably my happiest when I am kept busy in the kitchen.
Last night I finally made diner for myself and the family. It felt good, but better yet, it tasted wonderful!
My family loved the Asian inspired pork dish I made the last time, so I wanted to try something else tonight.  I didn't use a cook book, didn't look anything up on the internet, I just went with tastes and what I thought we would like. The end result was actually very good!
I needed to use what I had in the house, there has been no time for shopping.
I made a marinade with 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter, chopped fresh garlic, apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup red wine (it was on the counter and I just dumped it in!) soy sauce, (I didn't measure, just poured) a drizzle of sesame oil, and another drizzle of chili oil, and a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped. I probably didn't need the peanut butter, but once it was in, I was all in!
I marinaded the meat for 2 hours and then dusted each piece lightly with corn starch that I had seasoned with Chinese 5 Spice and ground ginger.  The Beef chunks were "fried" in a wok until they were crispy and browned. I removed the beef to a baking sheet and kept them warm in the oven. The pieces of beef were thick so I knew that they wouldn't get over cooked in the oven.
I deglazed the wok with a small glass of orange juice and a little of the left over marinade. It needed some more liquid so I added a little more soy sauce and water. I zested half an orange and added the zest to the sauce.
I removed the beef from the oven and added it back to the Wok with the sauce and made sure that all sauce touched the beef.
I topped it all with some more orange zest that I had cut into strips.
I served the dish with baby bok choy and steamed white rice.
We were happy!




Note to self: BUY A BIGGER WOK!  This is fun!!!

Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment