Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bucatini! Oh Yeah!

Santa was very good to me this year! Under the tree, was a box wrapped just for me! Usually Santa does not bring me anything that needs to be plugged in or pushed and or pulled.  It's just been a rule!  It has been a very good rule, and also applies to birthday's and anniversary's! LOL!
I wanted a pasta extruder, and I had to practically beg Santa, PLEASE!!!  So I  was very excited when I opened the box. As much as I wanted it, I didn't think Santa was listening to me!
 I have been waiting to play with my new kitchen toy and today I had a chance to make some delicious homemade Bucatini.
 This is the best thing ever! I thought I was going to need some help, but after following the instructions that came with the Pasta Extruder, made by KitchenAid,  I was able to make a batch of pasta all by myself, without any help from anyone! Perfect!  Flour, eggs, water and salt was all that was needed.

 Bucatini is a round thick hollow like spaghetti. It's one of my favorites! I thought of my best friends father, Cesare, who was also fond of this specific cut of pasta. I remember many nights shared at his table. He was such a wonderful, gentle, and kind man. I smiled thinking of him the entire time I was making the pasta.

Making the sauce was going to be really easy. I love a filleti di pomodoro sauce!  Oh Yeah!




 I started with a thinly sliced sweet white onion and a nice chunk of pancetta which I cut into lardons.
I heated my pan and then added 2 tablespoons of unsweetened butter and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. I cooked the panceta so it was nice and crispy and then added the onions and cooked until they took on a beautiful golden color. This took about 10 minutes on medium heat.
It's time for the tomatoes. I used a large can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes.
Cook the tomatoes until they start to break apart. I helped it along with a wooden spoon.
Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Add some fresh chopped basil and fresh chopped parsley and cover for 20 - 30 minutes on low heat.  Perfect!
After adding the pasta to salted boiling water for about 5 minutes, ( fresh pasta cooks much faster than the one you buy in the box), I drained the water and added the pasta to the sauce, tossing so that all the Bucatini were complimented.

From the pan, into Mima's bowl, and onto the table, went the Bucatini, ready to be dished out with some freshly grated Reggiano Parmigiano Cheese for all the hungry people waiting for a taste of delicious!
This dish made everyone very happy!

 Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine


2 comments:

  1. How cool is that! I saw one in William Sanoma the other day. What kind of pasta dough did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. flour, egg, salt and water...very easy! 4 eggs, 3 1/2 cups flour, sifted, 1 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons water and that's it! mix it all together , dough will be dry, and then into the extrator it goes!

    ReplyDelete