Sunday, December 18, 2011

Octopus Salad

My family loves Octopus. This is something I never had as a kid growing up. My mother's idea of seafood had nothing to do with Octopus. I can't recall the first time I had it, it might have been while dining in a Greek restaurant and all I can say is that it was love at first bite.
My sister Marlene stayed away from Octopus each time I served it. I don't know how I got her to try it, but she did. After she tasted it, she looked at me and said, "This is what I have been missing all these years!" OMG!
Yes, Marlene, that is what you have been missing all these years! lol We told you so!
The above is 2 large octopi, aboutt 5 pounds between the two of them. They are going to go into a pot of salted water with a bay leaf.

 After bringing  to a boil, lower the heat and cover and simmer for at least 2 hours. I usually know when it's done because it's tender and the head pulls off!
 They are out of the water and ready for me to clean. It's easy to clean them. I just run them under cold water and take off all the slimy stuff. What's letf is a clean white meat.
 After cleaning, slice the octopus up. I like to slice them on an angle.
 After all is sliced add some olive oil, chopped garlic, lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt, pepper and to taste and add a pinch of hot pepper flakes.

 Toss all together and serve!
The Octopus is absolutely so tender and so sweet. This is going to be such a tease for my family! I should have bought more!

Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment