Friday, December 16, 2011

Cranberry Pound Cake

Looking for a new desert for the Christmas? You should try this! It will be a hit! Promise!
This recipe was given to me by my friend Irene. Many years ago she served this at one of her holiday parties. I took just a sliver, thinking nothing is that good, and as soon as this cake went into my mouth,  I went back to the table and added a very large slice to my dish! It was delicious. It has a sweet taste, but is also a little tart from the cranberries. As far as I am concerned, it's perfect! This is such a festive looking cake. Perfect for this time of year!  It's a favorite of many of my friends and is requested quite often. I love serving this with some fresh made whipped cream or even better,  vanilla ice cream.
Cake
1 stick of unsweetened butter (1/2  cup or 1/4 pound) softened at room temperature
1 cup of sour cream
2 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs



Strussel
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of butter
1 tsp cinnimon
3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 bag of fresh cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Make strussel by combining all of the ingredients together with a fork. It will become crumby. Set aside.

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy, add eggs one at a time. Mix in the flour and the sour cream alternating each. Mix well until the flour and sour cream are fully incorporated into the batter. Add salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.

Prepare a 10" round spring form pan by buttering the bottom and sides. I like to put a piece of parchment on the bottom of the pan. This way, when the cake is done, I can easily remove it from the baking pan.
Spread a little less than half of the cake batter on the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle with half of the strussel and half of the bag of cranberries. The next layer is a little more difficult to spread the cake batter over the cranberries, just keep working it and it will get there. Sprinkle the rest of the strussel on top of the batter and add the rest of the bag of cranberries.
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.


Enjoy!
Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmm I love cranberries. This is a great recipe for me to start baking with. I suck at baking! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete