Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pasta ai quattro formaggi


I love Sundays! It's usually a day where my entire family can be together and break bread.  There is usually a nice spread on the table, a little something something for everyone, if you know what I mean.  My husbands request was for spaghetti and meatballs, but that meant a trip to the store to buy some ingredients that I didn't have. I just wanted to use what I had in the frig.  Cheese! I had lots and lots of cheese. So while I may be calling this Pasta with four cheeses, it has more! It has in it what ever I had left in the cheese drawer!
It's a simple recipe, butter, milk or cream, cheese, and salt and pepper. It really doesn't get any easier. 
While the pasta is cooking, a penne or a rigatoni go great with this sauce , I start by melting 1 stick  (1/4 pound) of butter in a sauce pan, and while melting I added about 4 - 5 ozs of mascapone cheese. If you don't have mascapone, use cream cheese.  I slowly added about 1/2 cup of milk and when it was nice and smooth I tossed in some of the cheese that I had on hand. Tonight I used Gorgonzola, Asiago, Parmigiano Reggiano, Fontinella and Gouda. The Gorgonzola is strong, so use the amount you want to your taste. I don't usually measure, so I would estimate that I used approximately 3- 4 ozs of each cheese. YUM! 

On a low flame, I whisked the mixture until well blended. I do not allow this to come to a boil.  I tossed the pasta with the sauce and served it at once. Delicious!  
My family requested that I make this more often, but with all that butter, cheese and cream I think I'll keep this as a once in a great while dish, and keep it in the special file...
Enjoy! and Buon Appetito!
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment