Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cooking with the Trinity

I just realized that although I have been cooking this whole week I did not take a single picture of anything that I made! I made some awesome dishes this week, you'll just have to take my word for it.
This week is Holy Week, and I choose to not eat any meat this week. We've eaten some delicious fish this week, and it's only Thursday!
Here's what you will need for tonight's fast and simple dinner.

Cleaned Calamari (I used 5 pounds)  keep reading even if you're not a calamari fan...you can substitute shrimp! It's actually another delicious dish made with shrimp!
1 -2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 onion chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
4- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
2 jars of crushed tomatoes
1 large can of cannellini beans (the big can!) 1 pound 13 ozs
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
a few fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of red pepper seeds
fresh arugula
1 pound of linguini

Tonight's dinner was a simple one, pretty fast to cook, and not too much prep. Depends on how fast you are in the kitchen. I bought the calamari cleaned, but still rinsed them off and made sure there was nothing inside the tubes.
First start by getting your pan hot and then adding your extra virgin olive oil. 1 - 2 tablespoons will do the trick.
Add your chopped onions, garlic and celery to the pan and lower your heat. You want to saute the onions, garlic and celery (the Trinity) in some extra virgin olive oil. My great uncle, Uncle Zio Tilio (lol) was a chef and he said that anything worth eating always started with a Trinity, tonight, my Trinity was the onion, garlic and celery. Just let the Trinity sweat, do not brown.  Add tomatoes....I used two quart sized jars of delicious chunky tomatoes that I jarred this past season! YUM!

mix it all in and season with your salt and pepper and don't forget that pinch of hot pepper seeds. It will add another dimension to the flavor. Black pepper and red pepper hit different parts of your tongue!

Let the tomato sauce simmer for 5 - 10 minutes and add your can of beans and stir. I also add the chopped parsley and basil at this time.  And then it's time for the cleaned calamari to go in! 
before adding the calamari I cut the tubes into rings

Don't over cook the calamari! I think that this took about 10 minutes to cook on a med to high flame.
While the calamari is cooking I start my pasta. Tonight it was linguini.

Drain the linguini, and now here is the fun part and the surprise of the dish!
Arugula! Raw Arugula! Put as much of it in the dish as you want. I used quite a bit. It gives the dish such a lovely peppery flavor!
toss the hot pasta right on top of the arugula
Spoon your calamari sauce over the pasta and using some tongs mix it up!
Serve into individual bowls and enjoy!
Bon Appetito! 

Thanks for the visit! Come back soon!
Lorraine
xoxoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment