Friday, April 29, 2011

Burrata Cheese

I don't know how many of you are familiar with a cheese known as Burrata. It is such a delicious creamy cheese. It is a ball of mozzarella cheese filled with shreds of mozzarella soaked in cream. Can you imagine? I had been serving it on it's own, at room temperature with just a drizzle of some Extra Virgin Olive Oil, until I had the pleasure of dinning at Il Ristorante di Giorgio Baldi, in Santa Monica, California. If you have the opportunity to dine there, I would highly recommend it.  My meal was absolutely fabulous. We fought over what pastas to order, the truffle or the porcini and ended up ordering it all! We started with an appetizer of Burrata, which was served with some tomatoes on the vine which had been baked with a delicious pesto sauce, and then spooned over the room temperature Burrata cheese.  The aroma,  and the taste is something I cannot even begin to describe.  I wasn't given their recipe and when I got home I tried to recreate what I had been served. Whenever I can, I prepare the Burrata this way, improvising as I go along. My family says "Thank You", as soon as it's on the table before their forks break into these creamy balls of delight! They know what's about to hit their taste buds, and it is out of this world.

Plain tomatoes into a baking dish. Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper, chopped garlic, parsley, basil and some olive oil.
Bake the tomatoes until the skin bursts and the tomatoes can be mashed with a fork
Spoon the tomatoes over the Burrata and enjoy!


Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment