Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Calamari Ripieni

Sometimes I just surprise myself while cooking! Really! During the hurricane warnings I decided to marathon cook. While looking in my freezer I decided to cook up what would defrost quickly if we lost power.  I grabbed 5 pounds of calamari and a few packages of extra large jumbo shrimp. What to do, what to do....I had just finished jarring 60 quarts of tomatoes...so the ideas kept coming.
I started off by making a tomato sauce with onions, garlic, fresh herbs and some olive oil. While that was simmering I started thinking about the calamari and decided to cook half of it in the sauce and have that over pasta, and the other half I would use to stuff the calamari. YUM!
OMG! These came out so good. I made a stuffing using the tentacles from the calamari, celery, onion, garlic, capers, parsley pesto, breadcrumbs, and lemon juice. I sauteed all the ingredients in a little olive oil and it looked a little something like this!
I didn't add alot of breadcrumbs, just a small handful! I seasoned with salt and pepper and started to stuff the tubes of the squid.
When stuffing the tubes of the calamari, don't overstuff. Only stuff half way. If you over stuff, they will burst open while cooking. Keep stuffing until all the tubes are stuffed. If you would like close them with a tooth pick at the opening.
I started cooking an onion in some olive oil.  And when the pan was nice and hot I added all the calamari tubes to the pan. I got a nice sear on each side.

Now it's time to make the sauce!  I just added a little bit of the fresh tomato sauce and let the calamari simmer for a few minutes. It doesn't take very long for the calamari to cook. You just want them to be tender.  These were absolutely delicious!  My family felt like Christmas Eve after this dinner!
Let me know if you make these. And as always if you have any questions I am more than happy to answer them. Leave a comment. Make my day! MWAH!

Buon Appetito
xoxoxo
Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment